World Nutella Day: February 5th 2018
Did you know that today is World Nutella Day, and that such a day actually exists that celebrates the world famous hazelnut and chocolate spread made by Ferrero in Italy? I’m a huge fan of Nutella although I do try to limit how much I have of it due to its high calorific content!
However, to celebrate World Nutella Day, and the fact that Shrove Tuesday is fast approaching, I’ve found this recipe for Nutella Stuffed Pancakes that is easy, quick to make, and absolutely delicious. They are best eaten warm but still fabulous at room temperature, and make a great treat for special occasions. Makes 6 to 7 pancakes.
Nutella Stuffed Pancakes
Prep Time – 10 mins
Cook Time – 20 mins
Total Time – 30 mins
- 10 – 14 tbsp Nutella
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1cup + 2 tbsp milk (I used low fat)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 tsp butter , separated (2 x 1/2 tsp)
- Sliced strawberries (optional)
To Make the Frozen Nutella Discs
- Line a baking tray with baking paper (parchment paper).
- Dollop 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp of Nutella onto the baking tray and spread into a disc around 2 1/2″ / 6cm in diameter and 1/5″ / 1/2 cm thick. (Note 1) Repeat to make 7 discs.
- Place the tray in the freezer until firm (around 1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Peel off the parchment paper. Keep the Nutella discs in the freezer until required (they soften quickly).
- Place the Dry Ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the centre and place the Wet Ingredients in the well. Whisk until combined and lump free (stop whisking as soon as it is smooth, don’t over whisk).
- Melt 1/2 tsp butter in a non stick fry pan over medium heat. Once melted, wipe most of the butter off with a paper towel. (Note 2)
- Take 3 Frozen Nutella Discs out of the freezer just before you start cooking. (Note 3)
- Dollop 1/4 cup of batter into the fry pan. Working quickly, place 1 Frozen Nutella Disc in the middle of the batter, then top with batter to cover the Nutella disc (Note 4).
- When bubbles start appearing around the edges (around 2 minutes), lift up the edge and make sure the underside is golden. Then flip and cook until the other side is golden.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Melt more butter in the pan after the 3rd or 4th pancake. You should be able to make 7 in total, but sometimes it makes 6 – depends on how much batter you use on top of the Nutella.
- Serve warm with sliced strawberries, if using. You could also serve with cream but I find that it’s not necessary!